Monday, August 2, 2021

Drama at Winn-Dixie and Blueberry Pie

Some days are uneventful. Some contain far too much drama--like yesterday.

   After filling my cart with my week's grocery shopping, I realized that my wallet was not in my purse.  The checker agreed to hold the cart, even putting some items in the cooler, until I could go home and come back with my credit card. I left and thought the quicker solution was to call my daughter and ask her to bring my bank debit card. I stopped at Java Moe's for a London Fog while I waited for her. Their machine was down and luckily I had a few bills loose in my purse. That's when I saw my checkbook. So I called to cancel Linda and went back to Winn-Dixie to pay for my groceries with a check. 

   I had to get in the same checker's line, and two customers waved me ahead for this quick pick-up. It took a while for someone to retrieve the cart, locate the cash register ticket, and accept my check for $90.54. But the "check-receiving machine" occasionally requires photo ID for a check, so the checker asked for my driver's license. Well, it was with my credit cards in the wallet, but I had a picture of it on my phone. Not good enough. Time was ticking by and the line was getting longer, with the original two customers patiently waiting and graciously accepting my repeated apologies. When it looked like I was going to have to leave again to get my wallet, the second customer offered to pay with her credit card and take my check in repayment. It was terribly embarrassing to be causing such an ordeal but quite a lift to the spirits to find a Good Samaritan ready to help!

    When I got home and unloaded I was eager to sit down with my London Fog tea and a slice of the blueberry pie I had bought. Glancing at the grocery ticket, I noticed an overcharge on the pie, and then realized the blueberry pie did not get home with me. Well, rats! I was too tired to go back yesterday, but today I did go and was given the pie, along with a refund for the overcharges (caused when the system dropped my rewards card with the delay in paying). I am a happy Winn-Dixie customer but will be more careful about keeping my wallet in my purse. 

2 comments:

tierneycreates said...

Oh so you were *that person* I was on line behind at the grocery store - ha!
But seriously that was an awesome good samaritan and I am glad everything worked out so you could get your yummy pie :-)

Martha Ginn said...

Tierney, yep, I was that person! But all the people in line seemed sympathetic to the glitches in a smooth system. I had to laugh when the clerk asked for my ID when I had no wallet full of credit cards. Definitely a lesson for me to be more responsible.