Sunday, August 15, 2021

August Happenings

South Mississippi Art Association has a juried exhibition at the Lucile Parker Gallery at William Carey University August 24-September 23, 2021. I am honored to have one of my entries pictured on the invitation.  The Opening Reception had to be cancelled, but the exhibit will be open to the public Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays 1:00-4:00 p.m.  My pieces accepted in the show are Bronze Sunflower and Blue Ghost-Quilted Flowers. 

Bronze Sunflower, 19" x 19"
Blue Ghost-Quilted Flowers, framed 17" x 17"

The most beautiful plant in my yard right now is this canna with its striped leaves. It has had two small red/orange blossoms, but I love the leaves even more than the flowers.


With Brown-Eyed Susans below

Brown-Eyed Susans recently watered
Colored pencil art has never been easy, but here is a little practice piece I did in Dana Stratton's class at OLLI. Seeing this makes me happy to get back to my thread-painting, where I feel more confident. 
Yellow, green, and striped bell peppers (colored pencil)
An Internet search for large flowers on black background resulted in these huge (24" square) specimens which I am trying to thread-paint. I have tried one on my HQ16 with satisfactory results. I'm reluctant to stitch any more closely for fear of puckering. 
Three-yard piece of huge flowers

Enlarge to see stitching

3 comments:

tierneycreates said...

I am so glad you were able to find that fabric! And wow that canna leaf is amazing!

Carla Carlson said...

Martha- I missed seeing you when I dropped off my paintings yesterday!
I hope you are well... Carla

Martha Ginn said...

Carla, Yes, sorry I missed you, too, but I did spot your awesome paintings when I was there. I was looking for more of those green/blue trees you do so well. l'm eager to see the entire show when it is up next week. Too bad about having to cancel the opening reception.
Congratulations on your website and blog! Well done, and enjoy your artful retirement!