Monday, October 26, 2020

On My Design Wall

This is what I have been working on, and it is finally time for it to come off the design wall, onto the table for some finishing touches, then under the needle for quilting. It will finish to 23" x 52". The reference photo is from the area called Cinque Terre in Italy, a highly recognized tourist location.

On the design wall

Source photograph

It is necessary to view the piece on the wall to make design decisions, but then moving the work to the table makes doing some of the actual placement easier. Elizabeth is giving it a close inspection after I have moved pins out of her way.


Choosing a backing
More of the story later.


 

5 comments:

tierneycreates said...

I am nearly fainting - this is a masterpiece! It rivals Elizabeth the Nearly Perfect Cat (or is it the Almost Perfect Cat?). You are so talented!!!!

Martha Ginn said...

It's "Elizabeth My Almost Perfect Cat" but either works.
I used Susan Carlson's fabric collage techniques; all raw-edge glued* applique finished with all-over quilting. *(I did default to fusible on some of the smallest windows.) I began the piece in winter (around Christmas) of 2019 and after a good start enjoyed a trip to the Grand Canyon in March 2020, came home and got sidelined for the pandemic shutdown. Not ill, just not creative. Here's hoping for more art is in the future. The magic word is HOPE.

Vivian Plummer said...

Vivian Plummer said...

Martha! That is truly impressive! I’d love to see the real thing one day.

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Vivian. I would love for you to see it in person. Let's hope we won't be quarantined forever.