Thursday, October 15, 2020

Flying Fish and Morning Walks

Flying Fish: Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) is a fiber art organization I belong to. Their next conference will be in Florida and they put out a call for 250 donated fish or sea creatures of any kind, flat or stuffed, no larger than 12". So this was a fun way to spend my day. These guys are in the mail to Karol Kusmaul for the conference. They are photographed on green fabric but are free-flying. They won't be returned to the artist but will be re-purposed in some way. It will be interesting to see what will become of these.

I have waited and watered all summer, hoping for beautiful hydrangea blooms. Finally, in October, here is what I found. 
But you can count on coleus to multiply and even go to seed if you let it. 
There is very little else blooming right now. There is one lone blossom on the azaleas along my front sidewalk. I hope it is a sign of what is to come in the spring of 2021.
This tiny vine was growing along the edge of my street in several places. It is shaped like a Morning Glory but much smaller.
When there aren't many flowers blooming, Monkey Grass puts on a show with purple spikey blossoms. I love Pampas Grass if it is in someone else's yard. The fronds are very sharp and will scratch or cut your arms and legs. I will enjoy walking past this healthy plant.





3 comments:

tierneycreates said...

Lovely flowers (even if you did not get the hydrangea blooms you were waiting for) and I love the fish you submitted to the SAQA call!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks Tierney. Last year I had lots of blooms—spoiled me.

Nanette Z said...

I have a couple fish I made a few years back. I thought about sending them, but it says they won't come back. I love what you're sending. I'm sure it will be a very fun exhibit.