Saturday, October 24, 2020

Leaf Gathering at End of October

 Beautiful leaves are so hard to resist when I walk in my neighborhood. It is amazing what a variety of trees there are.  Meanwhile, the cats thoroughly enjoy having the windows open so they can nap in the window sill. Tarbaby prefers the quilt up against the pillows. 

Rahrah and Elizabeth in windows, Tarbaby on bed.
What a surprise I found in my flowerbed! The zinnias I planted in the spring have grown waist high without any sign of blooms. But here in October some seem to be putting on flowers. 
Zinnias finally blooming in October
This leaf is quite unusual and I need to find out what kind of tree it is from. The veins are growing from center down to center again, instead of out toward the edge.
Front of leaves

Back of same leaves


Chinese Tallow leaves are among my favorites; sorry to learn that they are a non-native species and are harmful to our native trees. These are often called popcorn trees because of the white berries they produce that remind us of popcorn.

Front of Chinese Tallow leaves

Back of Chinese Tallow leaves

1 comment:

tierneycreates said...

Those are very cool leaves - they look like artistic inspiration!