Saturday, July 15, 2023

July, After FestivalSouth2023

I offer sincere thanks to all who came to my FestivalFibers exhibit during FestivalSouth2023, June 3-30. I was asked to keep my exhibit up for an additional week, through the end of June. This allowed for several more visitors and my chance to meet with people to describe and explain the works. The winning bidder on Prelude came to take pictures in the Downey Gallery. I was especially honored that Mississippi Arts Commission's David Lewis (Executive Director), Maria Zeringue (Folk & Traditional Arts Director), and Kristen Brandt (Arts Industry Director) met me at the exhibit for a tour. Three pieces found new homes, and the others are back on my walls or in my closet. 

Taking down the exhibit

The guest book
Meanwhile, life at home has been chock-full of adventures. A ginger mama cat and her four kittens (two ginger and two black) moved in under my shop building and I agonized over what to do about them, finally deciding to trap and get the kittens to Southern Pines Animal Shelter for fostering and adopting. When I trapped the mama cat I had her spayed and brought back to my yard. She can live outside but Elizabeth makes it clear that she is not welcome in the house. 


Elizabeth will not tolerate any new cats in the house,
watches the yard from her cat tree

Cello player Ameni Zouehid, my houseguest 

My meager but delicious cherry tomatoes

Storm broke section of a huge tree
No damage to the house, but close


Broken tree was red maple (also called swamp maple) 

House wren built a nest on a shelf in my garage 
Five baby birds 

Ready for takeoff

No comments: