Friday, November 5, 2021

Getting Ready for My Exhibit

 It's exciting to be preparing for my solo fiber art exhibit at the Lucile Parker Gallery on the William Carey University campus. There will be an opening reception at 4:30-6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 9, 2021, with the exhibit running until December 16. It is an honor to have my art shown in this beautiful space. Dr. Ed Ford is the curator and I appreciate his invitation to display my work.

The Invitation

I will have works from some early traditional quilts up to modern abstract pieces. One bed-size piece that hasn't been seen often tells the story of how I transitioned from counted cross-stitch to quilting. Daughter Linda and I found a book of quilt blocks in counted cross-stitch designs and began working on these. The squares, using six strands of floss over two squares of 14-count cloth, were so beautiful that I thought they needed to be made into a quilt by someone with experience, so I left the stitching with her and set out to learn to be a quilter. Several years later when she had finished the 20 squares I assembled them and we both hand quilted it. The quilt won blue ribbons in several shows and set me on a firm quilting path.

From Cross-Stitch to Quilting
Quilts are generally displayed on PVC pipe and drape, but in a gallery setting everything has to have a slat or wire to hang on the wall. Framed pieces already have wires for hanging, but all fabric pieces have to have a wooden or aluminum bar. Some are on gallery wrapped canvas and others framed.  I am hoping to show how textiles have transitioned from utilitarian bed coverings to art for the walls.

Ghost-quilted Palm Leaves, 12" x 12"

Poppy, an early ghost-quilted piece, 11" x 14"

Campfire, 22" x 23"

Sunday Ties, framed without glass, 10" x 24"


No comments: