Monday, June 29, 2020

Things I Enjoyed in June

Things I enjoyed this month: flying my American flag on Flag Day on June 14 and Juneteenth. Seeing people visit the cemetery across the street from my house. Some bring flowers; some stand a few moments; some sit on a bench or on the ground. It is very moving to think about their stories.


I have enjoyed taking care of plants in my flowerbed and yard. Here is an interesting find in the grass. A friend identified it as Polygala nana, and Wikipedia supplied "commonly known as candyroot or low bachelors' buttons." I tried moving some to a shady spot in the flowerbed before it was mowed but it doesn't seem to be happy there. 

My oregano has been growing so profusely that I had to trim and pull up lots of roots. I shared with several friends and have a sack drying some for cooking. 
I have planted zinnia seeds in several places and they are coming up like weeds. Instructions say to thin out some, but I can't bring myself to pull up any. 


Elizabeth was an ever-present helper as I finished my Shared Fiber Art piece for Rena Krol, who loves leaves like I do. 



The latest puzzle is finished. Placing white paper under it was a great help working on my dark wood dining room table.



My last Shared Fiber Art piece in our Southern Fiber Artists exchange was for Leanne Green. I combined some of the quilted green damask I had made stoles for my co-pastors for with a deconstructed piece containing painting, inking, and machine and hand embroidery. It is titled Only God Can Make a Tree. 









4 comments:

PollythePatchworker said...

Martha I simply LOVE your stitch work on the maple leaf. Wow!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Polly. I love hand stitching and would do more if I didn't have a cat in my lap every time I sit down!

tierneycreates said...

Things I enjoyed in June: this post :-)
Your fiber art helper is so cute and speaking of fiber art - those are some amazing pieces!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Tierney. The painted, inked, embroidered piece was started in a Susan Shie; I had enjoyed it on my wall for many years and it had the perfect elements for this. I have some small pieces of embroidery left for another special project. I know you love to save bits and pieces from one piece to create another!