Sunday, December 8, 2019

December Brings Advent

It really feels like Christmas is coming when my church begins to observe Advent with wreaths and a large tree covered in chrismons and the choir sings its program beneath the blue felt Advent banners. We made the banners in 2014 and they add such beauty to the sanctuary at University Baptist Church. To read about the patterns and making of the banners, see  http://marthaginn.blogspot.com/2014/12/advent-banners.html




At home my holiday decorating follows a minimalist style. I put the pumpkins and dried seeds away and brought out my Santa in his robe made from an old quilt that I bought several years ago from a quilting friend. The Meistersingers sold poinsettias as a fund raiser, and I'm glad I bought two pots of these lush traditional flowers to keep Santa company. He has a buddy in a velveteen robe that sits on the hearth (I don't use the fireplace). Then there is a lovely applique and quilted tree-shaped nativity scene in the hallway made by Ginny Freeman, a dear friend from my earliest quilting days.


My Christmas tree is a Norfolk Island Pine in a red bucket; I'm hoping the tree will enjoy the cool nights and mild days. It has several shiny red balls on it and sits on my front porch. (Pictured here on the back porch.

 I love little angel figurines and have some favorites in a curio cabinet in the living room. In the large China cabinet I have the Spirit of Bethlehem Boehm porcelain nativity set, which I keep lighted all year. In addition to Mary and Joseph and the Christ Child, there are kings, a camel, a donkey, a cow, several shepherds with sheep, and, of course, angels.









1 comment:

tierneycreates said...

Those banners are beautiful! I love how your creativity spreads to your house of worship. :-)