Thursday, April 25, 2024

April--A Very Musical Month

Yes, April is filled with springtime weather and new things blooming, but for me it is also filled with music. Many of the talented USM music students have recitals that I love to attend. The viola studio was invited to compete in a prestigious competition in Los Angeles in June, and I donated a quilt to help them raise funds to make this trip. 

Renata Andrade
In addition to the recitals, there was a performance of the Easter portions of Handel's Messiah by the USM orchestra and Choral Union with community members. There will be a special symphony performance this week, Mahler's Symphony No. 1--The Titan, saying goodbye to conductor Dr. Michael Miles on his retirement. Hattiesburg is rich with music!

My yard has been an interesting place lately--the fence covering a neighbor's property needed replacing, and this finally took place last week. Mike Padgett of Padgett Construction Services did a great job of removing a chain link fence and replacing with a 7-ft fence all along the back of my yard. Next there will be some planting done.

Past time to replace

Fence removed

In progress

Finished

Back yard

Fence built around large pine on the property line

It was good to get the three art quilt presentations done in March, and I did enjoy them. Then Pine Belt Quilters had our Showcase on April 20 at the Hattiesburg Cultural Center. We had the drawing for our Opportunity Quilt "Flowers for My Wedding" and displayed about 75 pieces of our works. Each event meant pulling different pieces to show. It was also a good time to change some of the artwork in my house. 

Flowers for My Wedding, won by Jackie Watkins

Miss BoBo

Square-in-a-Square II

Mike Ratliff was the lucky winner of the quilt


No comments: