Monday, September 12, 2022

AQS Quilt Show and SAQA Exhibit

     It's been several years since I attended a large national quilt show. Daughter Linda Ginn has a quilt juried into the AQS show in DesMoines this week and we are going! We are looking forward to her first big show--to enter/be accepted and also to attend. Linda's quilt is a unique interpretation of a temperature quilt with the detailed description and method she used to create it printed on a large label on the back. I'm pretty proud of her! 

      Another exciting reason for going is that my very first quilting teacher from back in about 1983, Maureen Grigsby, is meeting us there. We reconnected through a SAQA event recently, and she is traveling from the St. Louis area to see us. 

The story on the back of the quilt

Linda with One Day at a Time: 2021 Temperatures
in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

     Last week I had the unique opportunity to see the Studio Art Quilt Associates (SAQA) 3D Expression exhibit when it traveled to the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art in Laurel, just 30 miles from my home. Susan Lenz gave an artist talk and charmed and enlightened the audience with her description of SAQA's definition of an art quilt: "a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure." This helped explain some of the unusual and interesting pieces in the exhibit. I make it a practice to identify the artists when I post pictures; I apologize that I do not have all of these identified.


With Susan Lenz and Kristen Zohn, curator

Susan Lenz's quilt Saint Anastasia

Ginger Jar by Betty Busby

Detail of large piece in next picture



Groupers




Coat by Marijke van Welzen
Speaking of SAQA, what a neat surprise I got when I opened my latest journal--to see a picture of my cat quilt The Conversation pictured along with two pages of cat quilts.

The Conversation (top left)
Tarbaby, Rahrah, Elizabeth


No comments: