Tuesday, March 29, 2022

March Catching Up

My first springtime in Mississippi (1972) I thought, "Everyone should see Mississippi in the spring," and this is still true. The azaleas are so spectacular that we begin to take them for granted--huge blobs of magenta, pink, and fuchsia and an occasional snow-white bush for contrast.

My amaryllis have started blooming, along with some iris, but the azaleas are still the main event. The Bradford Pear trees put on a show when they are covered in white flowers for about a week. These are not native trees and we are advised not to plant them, but they make such a beautiful scene! 




I finished the fourth quilted zinnia pictures; these finish at 19" and are stretched over foam core ready to drop in a frame. It's hard to pick a favorite from the lavender, rosy pink, yellow, and orange.

I made the first of this year's shared fiber art in our Southern Fiber Artists exchange for Michele Martin. This cardinal is shown against a wintery gray sky in aspen trees.


My exciting news is that two of my three pieces I submitted to SAQA's Prism Play Call for Entry were accepted and will be part of Prism Play: A Full Spectrum of Art Quilts, which will be touring from Spring 2022 through 2026. 

Chartreuse and Violet quilts juried into Prism Play
Elizabeth has claimed this large plastic bag as her sleeping spot lately and Rahrah especially likes to be with me on the front porch.






No comments: