Monday, June 10, 2019

Festival South in June

Festival South, Mississippi's only multi-week, multi-genre arts festival is one of the best reasons to live in Hattiesburg! Sister Act by the Hub City Players was New York quality, and played four performances to nearly sold-out houses. Local dignitaries (a beloved Catholic priest, former newscaster, chef/restaurant owner, and our mayor) played the roles of the pope in the four performances, to the delight of audiences. Festival South is produced by Hattiesburg Concert Association. Sister Act was directed by Mike Lopinto.
Latisha Hamilton in Sister Act
Sunday afternoon I enjoyed chamber music including Afternoon of a Faun and other pieces. This week there will be a baroque trumpet concert, piano concert, string trio, orchestra (Beethoven's 5th), the Meistersingers, and something for Elvis fans (I can skip that). There are special events for children, and free coffee concerts.
Rachel Ciraldo introducing Afternoon of a Faun at First Presbyterian Church
I finished the improv piecing quilt I started at the MQA Gathering last weekend. It's straight--bad photo! Then I did a little organizing in my studio. I hate that this black/white/red fabric is almost used up.


Jigsaw puzzles are notorious for eating up time, but it is interesting how they can wake up the senses and help you see shapes, colors, interactions more clearly. Another thing I notice is that when I seem to hit a wall and give up and go to bed (because it is usually waaaay past time!), the next time I sit down and begin to work, several pieces just fall into place.
My current puzzle is 18" x 24" and features chameleons of all colors. It has only 550 pieces and a friend said it would be a snap with so few pieces. Not true. I'm finding it quite challenging but fun.


Elizabeth likes to nap in the corded bowl to be nearby; Rahrah tries to walk on the puzzle but I can shoo her away. When Tarbaby wants my attention, he walks over and lies down on the corner of the table. He is good at hanging his head off a table.




1 comment:

tierneycreates said...

Oh I fell seriously behind in reading your wonderful Martha's blog posts. I love the kitty in the puzzle (how do you even do puzzles with cats around< ha!). Sounds like a wonderful festival.