Saturday, November 11, 2017

Susan Carlson Retreat Part 3--Elizabeth, My Almost Perfect Cat

Elizabeth, My Almost Perfect Cat, 34" x 25"
Well, Elizabeth's whiskers are done and facing on the back, even the sleeve.
I thought and experimented with several ways to depict her whiskers (and even those little eyebrow hairs) and decided on a Madiera Glamour thread in two sizes--two-ply and six-ply white/glittery thread with a touch of glue for stiffness. The whiskers are attached to the face but are loose except where they are sewn in. They are stitched to a tiny bit of batting over white lace, which added a slight fullness or puffiness to the two cheek pads.
Click any picture to enlarge.
Detail of whiskers

Elizabeth checking on the Madiera threads

Ear hair made with hairy ribbon overlaid with tulle
Okay, can I take a nap in your lap now?
Linked with Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/2017/11/craft-vs-art-off-wall-friday.html

6 comments:

tierneycreates said...

This piece is so incredibly amazing; and I love love love the photos with the kitty that inspired the piece sitting on it! This has to be one of my most favorite pieces I have ever seen posted on a blog!

Martha Ginn said...

Tierney, you are too kind! I must admit making this piece was pure joy from start to finish. It was quite a learning experience, and I hope to use this for other fabric collages. Susan Carlson is an awesome teacher and can really help her students visualize how to make the fabric do the work of paint!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

This is incredible! What a fabulous experience her workshop must have been. Wonderful work Martha!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Jenny. And a five-day class really can get intense--such a privilege to get to do this! I'm eager to make more fabric collages. Of course, I have plenty of cat inspiration photos.

Franki Kohler said...

My hat is off to you Martha. You will enjoy this beautiful homage to Elizabeth for years to come! Looks Like I should keep my eye peeled for Susan's workshop!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Franki. Susan's workshops fill up as soon as they are announced, but I got in through a waiting list. She is also developing an online class, and she has excellent videos on her website. But there is nothing like spending five days with her!