Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pumpkins!


I love when pumpkins begin appearing in all the stores. This year our church, University Baptist in Hattiesburg, created a pumpkin patch on our front lawn for the two weeks before Halloween. We had about 800 pumpkins of all sizes; all proceeds from sales of pumpkins went to our partnership with Thames Elementary School. People stopped by to buy pumpkins for carving, decorating, and pie baking. The Saturday Fall Festival featured games, races, prizes, and food. I will be sorry to see the pumpkin patch ended in November. But I will enjoy them in my front yard for a couple of months.
Pumpkins and crotons in my front yard



2 comments:

Joy V said...

Wow, Martha all those pumpkins! In 2009 when I was on a tour (at this time of year) of the US (including Houston) we saw heaps of these in all places. In Australia we eat pumpkins as a vegetable, roast, mash, soup, etc, but never as decorations!!!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Joy..........we primarily use the large pumpkins to carve jack-o-lanterns. Smaller ones are used to make pumpkin pies, but my favorite use is to look at in my yard! These were grown by Native American Indians in New Mexico--gives them a profitable industry, and many schools and churches order them for fund-raisers. We can buy them at grocery stores in huge cardboard boxes, but walking among them on the lawn is much more fun.