Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Choosing Beauty and Joy

Well, you'd think quarantining would cause lots of progress on projects, clean houses and flowerbeds, organized files, healthy meals cooked. But hearing of the growing number of victims of COVID-19 can overwhelm our senses and rob us of our ability to concentrate and carry on to get these things done.
The large group of people I observed from my front porch attending a graveside service last week (my house faces the side of a cemetery) caused a mixture of sadness, pity, and then anger that they would ignore all safety instructions and possibly cause harm to their loved ones and the rest of our city.
I must choose to focus on beauty and joy where I can find it. And it is really all around me. From my cats in the house to growing things in my yard to sights I see on my walk. Simple pleasures, like seeing a cat curling up in as tight a circle as possible make me smile. I anticipate my favorite crape myrtle along the walking trail. My tiny Swiss chard plants are looking better every day.




I haven't finished the facing on the back of the large thread-painted flower yet, but have done a smaller one and mounted it on a 12" gallery wrapped canvas. I like this presentation and will do another like it. Can you see the 1" depth of the canvas in the second picture?


1 comment:

tierneycreates said...

The thread painting flower is amazing. Yes I've been trying to focus on beauty and joy also. I feel angry over those who continue to gather although we need to be patient and follow the guidelines for now.