Sunday, April 8, 2018

Pathways Class

Four weeks after my injury I am working diligently in PT to get my shoulders functioning again. If I didn't have to turn the steering wheel, I'd be a happy camper! But I am happy I am able to present a program and Pathways workshop in Mobile. It is one of my favorite techniques to teach and I'm looking forward to the class. It is using Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry's Applipiecing technique I learned at her workshop in Paducah in 2009. My all-time favorite quilt is Caryl's Corona II: Solar Eclipse, which won a $10,000 purchase award in 1989 and is in the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY.

Corona II: Solar Eclipse, by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry
Of course, this is an extreme example of what Caryl can do with her technique. We will start quite simply with a background and three "ribbons" or "pathways."  I call a "pathway" a series of flying geese, a row of piano keys, a series of spikes, or even a solid piece of contrasting fabric. When I was in her workshop in 2009, I began the piece I call Galaxy, which has one pieced and twisted pathway of gradated strips of hand-dyes from dark blue to medium blue to light blue to yellow to green and two pathways of other hand-dyed fabric (orange one and blue-green-blue one).
Galaxy

There are untold variations with this technique, and students can learn to draw their own designs.
Pathways in Stone
What a pattern looks like

Ribbons
 
Twisted Ribbons

2 comments:

Jenny K. Lyon said...

This looks like a fabulous class Martha!

tierneycreates said...

Bryer Fallert-Gentry is mind-blowingly amazing! There is one piece of hers with dancers that just takes my breath away. The one you shared in this post is quite the masterpiece also. Your pieces are amazing that you shared!