Friday, November 1, 2013

My Favorite Hanging Method

     Quilts need a 4" sleeve on the back to hang on the pipe and drape hardware in quilt shows. When displayed in galleries or art shows, a wire is usually required. Attaching sleeves is my least favorite part of the entire process, so I certainly don't want to have to change or add a new sleeve to change where the piece is to be displayed. If one method can accommodate quilt shows, art shows/galleries, and hanging on my wall, so much the better.
     I prefer one hole in the center of the slat and use a divided sleeve that is open in the center. For years I have used a 1/4" thick wooden slat with a hole drilled in the center to go over a nail to hang an art quilt on the wall. If that piece was entered in an art show, I attached eye-hooks to the ends of the slats and attached the wire (twisting like on a picture frame).

     Recently I discovered 2 inch faux wood blinds. They are economical, sturdy, and can be cut shorter or or glued together to add strength and extra length. I bought one 23" x 64" blind and disassembled it, leaving me with lots of neat white, thin slats with two little slit openings. I can run wire through the slits. To secure the knot in the wire, I add some Liquid Nails or E6000.


front, facing the sleeve opening
back, facing back of quilt
     For shorter slats, I can cut these with heavy scissors instead of having to saw the wooden slats. If the 23" slat is not long enough, I overlap and join two slats with Liquid Nails or E6000. An electric drill will drill holes easily for the wire since the slits are covered.

front, two slats glued to get proper length
back, two slats glued, using drilled holes for wire
ready to hang in gallery with slat; remove slat for pipe & drape

6 comments:

jeanne Marklin said...

Very clever idea. I like the opening in the middle of the sleeve. Next time I'm in a hardware store I'll check these out. Thanks!

carole lyles shaw said...

Great idea--and you can put a slat at the bottom to help a piece hang straight across bottom...or even on the sides!
Thanks!

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

What is the maximum width you can use this on? I have used a split sleeve for years on quilts less than about 30 inches but have had problems of balance with quilts wider than this. I have not used the blind salta and wires and that is a great idea.

Vivian Helena said...

thank you for info on the slates and photos, really helps, great idea.. I want to follow your blog, but you don't have a sign in part, follow me, Under gadgets in Blogspot, you can put an email sign in.. I have one on my blog and people can follow my blog that way.. I saw you on SAQA.
http:llvivianhelena-creates.blogspot.com/, We took a trip this summer, and were in Hattiesburg, and stopped at the quilt store.

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Jeanne and Carole. Glad you are interested in this hanging method.
Madelene, I do use two holes for a quilt wider than about 40 inches, and would think the wooden slat would still be preferable; by the time I glued 3 or so slats together for strength, they would be about as heavy and thick as the wooden slat.
Vivian, I thought I had an RSS feed symbol for following, will look further into this. . . thanks! I'm glad you know where Hattiesburg is and have been through our beautiful town! Next time, give me a call/email.

E.E. said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it.....elvia