Tuesday, November 8, 2016

November--Pensacola Program and Wood Sculptures

 
I enjoyed presenting a program/trunk show for the Pensacola Quilters Guild and staying in the lovely home of Cena Harmon (and seeing her quilts like this New York Beauty). The technology gods were cooperative, so I got to share some pictures of my 2013 China trip and since it has come home, I had the Rise and Shine, Inner City quilt to show. When I left Pensacola, Cena directed me to the most unexpected fabric find--at A&E Pharmacy! It's a traditional drug store with all the usual products, medicines, pharmacists, and gifts. But there was also a huge section called A&E Fabrics featuring first-run fabrics from well-known designers and more batiks than I have ever seen in one place.
Batiks as far as the eye can see!
I stopped at the Florida Welcome Center and took several photos--a jet plane and some of the carved birds that a talented carver, Marlin Miller, has created from the oak trees killed in Hurricane Katrina in 2005. These are truly amazing and give tribute to the indomitable spirit that rose from the Gulf Coast after the devastation.




4 comments:

tierneycreates said...

Fun post Martha - enjoyed the quilt, fabric, and the carvings! Looks like fun!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Tierney, yes, it was a fun trip. There are many more (and larger) carvings from the huge oak trees that were lost in Katrina. If you Google oak tree carvings Katrina, there are several links--most pictures on the Pinterest one. These are awesome.

Vivian said...

We stopped there on our last trip, lots of lovely art. I took that photo of the air plane also.

Martha Ginn said...

Vivian, that plane certainly inspires us with visions of the Blue Angels, doesn't it?! The wood sculptures don't show up very well in pictures, so I'm glad you know what the read thing looks like.