Thursday, March 26, 2020

Self-Quarantining


Self-quarantining can be a time to enjoy some quiet reflection and freedom from regular duties. It can also be lonely. I was very touched to find this sweet surprise near my back door.
   Even with plenty of time available, it is hard to concentrate or stay on task with the sadness of news of growing deaths and shortages of supplies for medical personnel. I have tried to get out for a walk in my neighborhood park every day for some exercise. I even find myself picking up trash to put in the nearby container and wondering how people can be so uncaring that they would litter! This styrofoam container had chicken in it, so I left it for this little cat who came up, hoping he didn't follow me home.

There is beauty all along the way. I love these crape myrtle trunks and roots.

   In my yard there is one lone red amaryllis. The iris that I have watched make green leaves for almost two years surprised me today with a beautiful bloom. There is another bud, so I am happy. The wisteria bush is blooming. I have a bumper crop of oregano, and the clover-looking oxalis tries to take over the space. I think of it as a weed until it rewards me with tiny pink flowers. I have one scrawny blueberry bush that looks more pitiful each year. But I love to see the little berries come on it. The mockingbirds probably get most of them, but that's okay.





   I have plenty of fabric and supplies to make masks for our local hospital. It's not much, but better than wringing my hands and doing nothing. There are dozens of patterns and lots of conflicting information about whether hospitals can use them because they are not official medical-grade, but my Forrest General Hospital nurse friend stressed the dire need and it makes me feel this is something positive I can do while I am in isolation. She says they add an extra layer of protection through the open slit. They also ask for ties instead of elastic (too tight/too loose, catches in hair, etc.). Fray-Check ends of ties or ribbons.




   The thread-painted flower has its facing applied and is ready for the hand sewing on the back. This is not a bad task--just impossible with a cat on my lap. I have to catch them asleep for any sewing in the recliner.


2 comments:

tierneycreates said...

Wow that is fantastic you are making masks - they look great and I bet the health care staff with appreciate them. Oh you fed a stray cat? Surprised it did not follow you home! That was a sweet surprise someone left at your door :-)

tierneycreates said...

Wow that is fantastic you are making masks - they look great and I bet the health care staff with appreciate them. Oh you fed a stray cat? Surprised it did not follow you home! That was a sweet surprise someone left at your door :-)