Thursday, December 21, 2017

Merry Christmas

It's hard to believe this year is nearly over. I feel as if I've been in some sort of time machine zooming along. Here's hoping I can recall some of just this one busy month's happenings.
Making a little progress on The Window Watchers although it has taken a backseat to more pressing matters--like a bit of Christmas mail, beautiful choir special music, SMAA art show, and quilt meeting.
And we had a beautiful one-day 5-inch snowfall in Hattiesburg. We only get snow about once in 5 years, so we take lots of pictures, close schools, stores and streets. Here's what it looked like at my house--outside and in.



Elizabeth, My Almost Perfect Cat won a 2nd place ribbon in the South Mississippi Art Association's annual show. Coming in 2nd to Andrea Kostyal's 1st place always makes me feel like a winner.
I also entered Winter Cabin and Jacob's Ladder, all in the Mixed Media/Other Category
Elizabeth, My Almost Perfect Cat--2nd Place
Mixed Media Category

Winter Cabin

Jacob's Ladder
My guild, Pine Belt Quilters had the reveal for the challenge we have worked on during 2017--a "modern" quilt. We drew three crayons from a bag and had to use these three colors (plus neutrals),  using at least 20 of the 27 patterns given during the year. My crayons were bittersweet, peach, and green. We were to stretch, skew, alter, "modernize" the blocks in some way in our 59+ inch quilts. I did not alter but chose to use different size blocks and set with some negative space for a variety of quilting designs in a smaller quilt. All the guild challenge pieces can be seen Here.
Crayon Challenge, 42" x 52"

Detail of quilting
Detail of quilting
Decorating takes a back seat to other holiday celebrations--like music and church gatherings and communicating with friends. The Boehm Spirit of Bethlehem porcelain figures are on display all year but are difficult to photograph in a lighted, mirrored cabinet. Two Santas and an elf are added, which makes enough around here, as long as there is music!






Several friends and I celebrated with Gwen Yijuan Yin as Kat Kimmel pronounced a house blessing at her new home. Gwen lived with me for a couple of months while she was making this move. She is a talented artist and musician and friend, a real asset to Hattiesburg!
Gwen and Kat
Linking to Nina-Marie Sayre's Off the Wall Friday

9 comments:

Linda M said...

You've had more snow in Mississippi than we have in Idaho! Love the idea of the secret challenge quilt and like the way you did yours.

Norma Schlager said...

I think that we noticed another year that we have the same Boehm nativity set. Sadly I have no place to display it in this house. In my former home I used to set up the crèche ( a limited edition hand made of rough hewn wood) on a six foot long table that I covered with a skirted cover I made from dark green double shot taffeta. It looked beautiful. I wish I could find it a new home.
Merry Christmas! 🎄

Martha Ginn said...

Linda, this is how to have snow--a beautiful fast snow for pictures and snowmen; and then in two days the sunshine melts it away. We're back in the 70s again, hoping for a little more winter.

Martha Ginn said...

Oh, yes, I remember now that we both have this beautiful set, Norma. My husband gave me the central figures and two angels and I was thrilled. But when he later bought a king I thought, oh, no, kings come in threes and I saw that he intended to get it all. I agree it's a shame to have to keep it packed. I have seen yours with the wooden creche--lovely!

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

That snow was quite a gift for the holidays for you! It looks like we might have white Christmas up here in MA for the first time in a number of years. Love the colors in your cat and all that quilting in your challenge piece. Merry Christmas!

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Madalene. Elizabeth was so much fun to make! Here is a link to Susan Carlson's Finish Line post showing Elizabeth and many other amazing works: https://susancarlson.com/2017/12/23/the-finish-line-completed-student-work-volume-7/

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Your home looks so cozy and welcoming! Love the nativity-what a beautiful set. Your home and life is filled with wonderful things. Merry Christmas Martha!

tierneycreates said...

I did realize you got snow where you live, even if it is every 5 years. Congrats on Elizabeth winning a ribbon at the show - just an amazing piece! Hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday.

Martha Ginn said...

Thanks, Jenny; to say my home looks cozy and welcoming is high praise, because that would be my hope. Instead of downsizing, we inadvertently upsized to get a more comfortable and safe (off a busy street) place with a large sewing room plus a hallway with floor to ceiling cabinets--visualize fabric! Even in advanced Parkinson's, Roy used to stand in the doorway and say "I'm so glad you have this space." And I do enjoy it!